Book Club Study Questions for Incarnate
Book club questions for Incarnate by Lawrence Weill:
- What is the significance of the title Incarnate? If you could give the book a different title, what is it? Why?
- The novel has a line from Love’s Labour Lost as a frontis piece? Why do you think the author included that?
- What are the themes of Incarnate?
- The author uses a switching point of view in each chapter. Why do you think he does that? What did you think of the structure and style of the writing?
- What scene is the most pivotal? Why?
- What scene resonates most with you personally in either a positive or negative way? Why?
- Has anything ever happened to you similar to what happens in the book? How did you react to it differently?
- What surprises you the most about Incarnate?
- How important is the setting and time period to the story? How would it play out differently in a different setting? What about a different time period?
- Are there any particular quotes that stand out to you? Why?
- Do any of the characters remind you of yourself or someone you know? How?
- What motivates the actions of the characters in the story? What do the sub-characters want from the main character and what does the main character want with them?
- What are the dynamics of “power” between the characters? How does that play a factor in their interactions?
- How does the way the characters see themselves, differ from how others see them? How do you see the various characters?
- How do the “roles” (mother, brother, etc.) of the various characters influence their interactions? How do those roles change?
- What past influences are shaping the actions of the characters in Incarnate?
- What is the significance of the epilog? How would you have liked to have seen the ending go?
- How have the characters changed by the end of Incarnate?
- Have any of YOUR views or thoughts changed after reading this book?
- What do you think will happen next to the main characters?
- Are there any books that you would compare this one to? How does this book hold up to them?
- What did you learn from, take away from, or get out of Incarnate?
- Did your opinion of the book change as you read it? How?
- Would you recommend Incarnate to a friend? Why or why not?
Thanks to Book Bundlz for helping inform this list of questions.